Thursday, November 4, 2010

Running the New York Marathon, Day 3

Today, I didn't have much time to think about running. I had planned to get up early and to go for a run through Central Park, but the warm bed was much more appealing than the rain outside so I slept until 8:30 when Steve woke me up and told me to get my ass into gear and then, off we went...

We decided to walk to the Metropolitan Museum of Art which was number one on my list of things to do while we are here. I've been there only once before, many years ago and this time, I wanted to enjoy the museum and, I got to. Four hours in the Met was like heaven today. Sculpture, tapestries, bronzes and the paintings. I took the audio tour and as I listened about my favorites: Van Gogh, Monet, Hopper, Dali, Picasso, I also learned that there were some artists who I recognized but who I hadn't really "discovered" before today: Dega and Manet and Renoir are the three that come to mind. I never really got the chance to look at Dega's work and I was astounded by the amount of paintings that he had done concerning the dance, ballet in particular it seemed. There was a young student in one of the galleries and she was sketching a Dega and it was fascinating just to watch her reproduce the original. She sat cross legged on the floor and as a crowd gathered, she continued on as if no one else were there. I also saw some modern art; surrealist art by Tengay, I think that was his name, but all I could think was, fascinating. There was a narrator on the audio tour who mentioned that Picasso had said something to the effect that everything "surreal" or in art, starts with something in reality and as the painting grows, one can take out pieces of the picture, leaving only the line between what is real and what is not. I'm not quoting it exactly right, but it really struck a chord with me and it helped me to understand the intensity of the images as individual pieces, but not necessarily of a bigger puzzle. Just pieces, of something that the artist wanted to convey in a very powerful and profound way. Cubism is also something that draws my eyes and my attention; the beauty in the structure and in the form. I'm definitely on my way to studying Art History...

I think that the Met is a beautiful building in and of itself and one can appreciate the architecture maybe as much or almost as much as the art itself. Nonetheless, it is an enjoyable experience just being there. As tourists, we also visited the 9/11 site and the store where we saw the preview of what the final tribute will look like upon its completion. It was hard not to shed tears there today, listening to the stories, seeing the photos and then gazing up at the new tower that is being constructed. Steve said that it must still be so difficult for people to walk by there every day and I couldn't agree more. I still cannot fathom the fear and despair that the people in New York felt on that fateful day. It's almost too much to imagine. Lastly, we walked over 90 blocks today and surprisingly, I feel great. Tired, yes, but overwhelmed with anticipation and joy at having spent a day wandering, through the streets, through Central Park and through the city that I will get to see from an entirely different perspective on Sunday.

I'd like to do well on Sunday and for me, that means finishing strong with no whining, no regrets and no pathetic excuses for why I didn't do it the way I wanted to do it. Sure I get to visit New York, but I came to run and I'm going to conquer my fear and trepidation and I'm going to just do it. At least that is how I feel two days away. We'll see tomorrow... Goodnight from Manhattan!

No comments:

Post a Comment