Friday, November 5, 2010

Running the New York Marathon, Day 2

Okay, I'm thinking that I should be sleeping right now, or at the very least, in bed, watching t.v., resting, preparing for the marathon on Sunday... but instead, I sit in the basement of the hostel with Rosh and Steve, drinking wine and laughing about nonsensical things that make no sense. I am laughing so hard that my stomach hurts. Everything is on the table; cream cheese, sex, butterflies, Ben & Jerry's, wine with no wine opener, Kevin and not so many hours of sleep. A recipe for fun and maybe disaster, I guess we'll see in the morning.

Today was another great day, but my legs are paying for it right now. Steve and I walked all day again, 5 hours of waltzing around the city, looking up, taking pictures, visiting museums, eating tidbits, buying souvenirs, getting lost and ending up in the projects. Interesting, the sights that you can see when you aren't worried about or paying attention to where you are going. To round out the day, we walked across the Brooklyn Bridge at sunset and took many pictures of the city of Manhattan; beautiful doesn't even begin to describe how Manhattan looks at sunset. Magical is a better and more appropriate word (continued after the fact)...

I should have known better; I do know better, but when we got back to the hostel, we were going to go to bed, sleep in and get a good start today, but... hell, we're in New York city so off we went at Kevin's suggestion to a bar called Ding Dong and there we were, drinking, shooting pool and having fun. That bar was so dark and hot that I can't accurately describe it other than to say it was kind of like playing that game 3 minutes in Heaven; you remember the one where you got in the closet with a kid (the opposite sex) and you basically stood there for a minute until your dumbass friends let you out. If you were really adventurous, you let him kiss you or you kissed him and if you were slutty at 8 years old then you let him... but I digress. A completely hot guy with an Italian accent just walked into the basement and smiled at me and asked me if I got internet service down here. What is the matter with me I'm asking? Accents, whew! But that's a subject for another day... so to finish up the chronicle of this reenactment, we came back to the hostel and I slept with a woman... Wait! You're asking yourself if you read that right? You did. My friend Rosheen, my very good running buddy, flew all the way to New York to be my support team for the last 13 miles and, although my charming brother Steve tried very hard to get her to share his bed instead ( :) ), she chose me instead. Needless to say... well, there's nothing to say, I love her, but I'm still batting for my side. I'm laughing so hard at my own words right now that I have to stop for a second...

So, tomorrow marks the last day prior to the race and we are going to pick up the race stuff, visit the Expo, walk around (yes, more fucking walking) and then we are having dinner with my sister Christine and her boyfriend John. Should be a great day!
Goodnight, sleep tight and don't let those bedbugs bite... hey did you hear there's a pandemic of bed bugs in New York? Maybe I'm not sleeping tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment