Thursday, April 18, 2013

Beauty...

I sit here, listening to President Obama talk about the tragedy that struck Boston on this past Monday, the tears begin to flow down my face.  Although common enough, my response, it is not one to be analyzed or evaluated, it is simply a response to both the lack of humanity and the over abundance of humanity that is shown in moments like these.  9/11, Sandy Hook, Boston...

All of these events and others, have hit us hard; they have hit me hard.  "It's personal" President Obama repeated and, as I wipe my eyes and continue to listen, I am struck by how those two words explain it all: my response, my sadness these past few days and the wonder at the people who have stepped forward to help.  There have been so many moments, so many stories that have emerged the past few days; the instances of grace, of kindness, of love.  It moves me beyond words.  I have not been able to articulate how "personal" the bombing at the Boston marathon was this past Monday.  I still don't feel as though I can wholly express the sentiment and the pain correctly, but I think, as I scroll through the numerous text messages asking if I was in Boston, that the pain is beginning to dissipate amidst the realization and the recognition that the beauty of humanity that was shown on Monday supercedes the pain and the tragedy and the spirit of the marathon in all of us overpowers any sadness that we most certainly still feel in our hearts.

Beauty is everywhere, that is true.  But for me, beauty is found most in purity.  Selfless acts of random kindness, smiles and that indomitable strength that picks us up and shows the best of who we are after these horrific events.  We pick ourselves up and we move forward, despite the pain, despite the hatred, despite the loss; we are resilient, we are one.  What makes humanity and Americans truly great is this strength.  In the moment when we want to turn away so as not to see the horror, instead we turn toward, to see if we can help.  We move toward what hurts us most.  And that, to me, is beauty.  That is what a marathon and those who run, those who volunteer, those who cheer... is all about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment