Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A note to my students on the last day of class

June 8, 2010

I would be remiss if I didn't take a moment, after spending 16 weeks as your instructor, to leave you with a few words of advice. Whether or not you heed them is your choice, but I am going to give them nonetheless.

The one component of being a successful student, regardless of any other factor in life, is the will to succeed. Sounds too simple or trite even, but it isn't. Think about where you are this week, this semester, this year and then consider all that you still have to do to accomplish your ultimate goal in education. That may not be a degree, however, I would venture to guess that it seems a long way off. This is true for everyone. Taking classes, completing work that often seems trivial or even redundant, forces many students to consider and then to subsequently, quit school. This is why your will has to be strong enough to force you not to quit, not to drop, not to stop studying and, most importantly, to see that it is possible; to finish, to graduate and to accomplish whatever career goal you've set for yourself. Skills are acquired over time, with patience and persistence. Will however is not taught, it is inherent and you have to nurture it in order for it to serve you. It's always easier to quit, always. Just don't...

Developing an appreciation of literature and the ideas that are set forth in a piece of writing is also a skill; one that will only come with a desire to want to understand, evaluate, argue and even just discuss ideas that concern a broader picture of humanity and of life itself. The ability to read well is a privilege, not a right and maybe when you pick something up, you will remind yourselves that you are in a select group of people who have the abilities to read and comprehend and eventually evaluate that piece of writing. A privilege, not a right. Everyone should have that right, but unfortunately, they don't. So, don't take it for granted. Keep trying to read new things every day, consider the ideas and then share your conclusions on paper or with others. Challenge yourselves to read material that is beyond your understanding and work at it, little by little. Allow yourselves the opportunity to fail because then, you'll understand the value of success. Everyone fails, but understanding why we fail and then attempting to correct our mistakes are what makes us successful the next time.

Maybe it's just a mindset; maybe it's nothing more than if you were raised to read then you do. I don't know, I'm not entirely sure. But, what I do know is that a life without reading is one with a much narrower view of the world. And, in the end, if you are making a contribution to society, which you are, just by virtue of being in college, then don't you want your view to be as broad and as deep as you choose? Give yourselves permission to understand and feel ideas more deeply and it will inherently change your ability to do anything; to succeed at anything.

I've enjoyed being here with you this term and I've really enjoyed getting to know each of you. Just like my favorite books, each student leaves an indelible print on my memory and each one alters my perception of the world just a little bit more; helping me to understand and appreciate life better. For that, each of you has my gratitude and my profound respect. I wish each of you success in college and in your lives.

I will miss you and I will hope to learn something from each of you when I see you again in future endeavors as my nurse or my dentist or my CPA or as the police officer who pulls me over to give me a ticket... whatever it is, I will look forward to it.

Have a wonderful summer and keep reading!

Yvette Hawley

No comments:

Post a Comment